Friday 13 December 2013

Christmas Top 10

The following is personal opinion and is of course subject to debate should you feel strongly enough to do so.

There may be one or two controversial omissions, but this is entirely based on movies I have actually seen, as I am not very well placed to comment favourably or otherwise on those I am yet to.

Also, these are in no particular order. Just 10 of my favourite Christmas movies.


THE MUPPET'S CHRISTMAS CAROL


The Muppets before I began to find them irritating. Also the first time I had seen Michael Cane in a movie. Saw this one at the cinema when it came out and never fails to transport me to my childhood as the snowy rooftops support the opening credits.


DIE HARD


"Ho ho ho. Now I have a machine gun." Because none of us are ever going to experience a Christmas Eve like it.


DIE HARD 2


Same premise as the first one and still enjoyable. Christmas is on hold for John McClane as he battles Christmas-ignorant terrorists again.


THE GRINCH


Jim Carrey wearing another green facial prosthetic and delivering a truly bonkers performance. A poignant message that sticks with me regarding 'the true spirit of Christmas' which we could all do with being reminded of from time to time.


JINGLE ALL THE WAY


"Put that cookie down! NOW!", "I'm not a pervert!" and punching a reindeer. Enough said.


ELF


In my humble opinion, one of Will Ferrell's best films. Truly silly and featuring the 'World's Best Coffee'.


THE NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS


This is a great movie for both Christmas and Halloween and is still a true marvel in technical achievement. It is impossible to ignore the level of refinement in stop-motion animation before the likes of Pixar and Dreamworks swamped the market.


SCROOGED


One of the first Christmas movies I ever saw. As already mentioned, any film that transports me to my childhood is an instant winner and this does just that. A timeless tale retold in a typically Bill Murray way and you cannot fail to find yourself watching and saying over and again (even if you have seen it before) "That guy (or woman) is in it?!"


THE GREMLINS


Who didn't want a Gizmo for Christmas after this? Hilarious picture an an inexplicably under-protected small town that nearly missed Christmas in all the chaos.


EDWARD SCISSOR HANDS


Not an obvious Christmas movie (aside from the fact it is nearly always shown sometime in December) but one that is set around the festive season and is always an enjoyable watch, if nothing else for the terrible attempt to age Winona Ryder, and her dreadful 'old lady' voice at the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment